12.03.2008

Where are the Big Rollers?

Recently, I looked through the auction data for the past two years and noticed that what our league lacks is a high stakes roller. In this regard, no one has ever placed a bid higher than $34 on a player. In 2008, Grady Sizemore and Albert Pujols both went for $34. In 2007, Miguel Tejada went for $33. From reading fantasy baseball paraphernalia, I understand that in other leagues with similar budgets and rules, top players can go for as much as $40, $50, or even $60. Is our league so much smarter than these other leagues that we can disregard the wisdom of the masses?

I think that having a manager who fits the role of the go-for-broke gambler would increase the entertainment value of the league for everyone. Mike took a tentative step last year to fill this role by nominating Putz for $10 at the start of the auction, but then failed to follow through on a promising start. This year, we need a person to step up to the plate, throw caution to the win, and bid up a player at least past the $40 threshold. This person will be a hero to me and/or earn a place of fame on this blog, at the very least.

On a more serious note, I do think that some brave soul could arbitrage this fact.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I think the problem is that we have too many jews in this league. We're not willing to pay retail, whether it's on a DVD player or a FLB player. I don't know that I'm going to be the one to bust up this trend, but I do appreciate a good Putz for $10 opening to our auction reference.

Anonymous said...

I was planning to bid $60 on a player in 2009, but I put my money in the stock market during the off season and now I only have $34. Go figure.

Rich said...

I think if no one gets into the $40 range this year, then we should consider ways to provide an incentive for this sort of behavior. First, let's see how this year goes.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I'm on the Mets now. Doesn't that matter to anyone? If this move doesn't make me a $40 player, then what does?

-JJ