11.25.2008

2009 Constitution Change Discussion

In anticipation of a league-wide email to be started in January, I would like to open up the blog to discussion of proposed changes to the Constitution. In this entry, I will put forward what is currently under discussion. If you would like to propose additional rule changes, I would ask that you make a new post, so that we can better track the comments. Here are the current proposals:

(1) Add a second IR spot.
(2) Change tiebreaker to be something else. Likely either innings pitched or total head-to-head points in scoring categories.
(3) Remove restriction that player be out of Host website system to be eligible for minor league draft.
(4) Add restriction to prevent minor league draft of players with international professional experience (i.e. players from the Japanese leagues). This could take the form of a ban on drafting players from the Japanese league or a more generalized ban on players with significant professional experience depending on how people feel.

2 comments:

Dave said...

(1) I vote yes on adding a second IR spot
(2) I'd vote to change the current tiebreaker such that the first tiebreaker is which team leads the other team in the most scoring categories and, if that's tied, then have innings pitched be the second tiebreaker. I don't think we need to worry about it beyond that.
(3) I agree that we should remove last year's restriction that a player needs be out of the Yahoo database to be eligible for our minor league draft
(4) I think we should ban any player who has ever played in the Japanese professional league from eligibility for the minor league draft. Japanese players who come directly over to the U.S. out of school would be eligible. I don't think we need to worry about any of the other professional leagues because they all suck.

Anonymous said...

(1) I vote yes on Proposition Adding a Second IR Spot;

(2) I have no plans to be in the money in 2009, so why would I care about tiebreakers?;

(3) Agree on removing the minor league restriction;

(4) I suggest restricting minor league designation for Japan, Taiwan, Korea and Cuba. Although BP suggests that each of those leagues pencils out to AA minors-level talent, individual players from those leagues can easily be high profile free agents who should be bid upon, not selected by the person with the first minor league draft spot.