1.31.2007

The glory of captions

I realized in looking over the blog that had Rich not captioned the photos in the Gallery of Champions I would not have known who was who. Thank you, sir.

I hope all are looking forward to this season. Dave is coming off an impressive stretch run while Rich is trying to soothe the burn of the silver medal. As Prof. Klein will tell all who ask, it is much more satisfying to win the bronze than to come in a close second. Rich's motto for this year will no doubt echo Simpsons' standout Gil Gunderson, who said of the brass ring, "Don't I get a lick? Doesn't Gil get a lick?!"

I, meanwhile, have no such issues while attempting to improve upon my astoundingly mediocre year. At least my keepers suck. But I did win the ESPN league. And yeah, I'm a notary. So I got that going for me too.

My missive to the league is to send Rich the money as soon as you can while looking at the calendar for a suitable draft date. At first cut I see nothing wrong with March 31st. Let's keep it in mind as a starting point. Meanwhile, the Superbowl is here, the vast sports wasteland of February stretches before us with pitchers and catchers reporting the only thing to tide us over until March Madness. But then MLB and FLB will arrive in full force. Let us prepare now to avoid the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would be.

P.S. With his first pick, Dave selects World Series MVP David Eckstein.

1 comment:

Rich said...

I thought the captions were necessary regarding Porkins in particular - I remember in years past people asked who Porkins is. Was. In Porkins We Trust.

2nd place is pretty bad. But, my team wasn't that good in the first place, so I can look at it as the glass half full.

I am interested to hear that you think your keepers suck. If I can figure out how, I would like to put up a poll on the blog to see how many people are considering not keeping their full compliment of players.