2.16.2007

Next Steps

First, see the comments in response to Justin's post below.

I think we need to move this from the theoretical to the concrete. There are two steps we can take immediately.

1. Decide on an overall budget- As I commented previously I think the actual number is somewhat irrelevant since all other prices and values will be relative to the total we select. I'm advocating for $260 because that seems to be an industry standard.

2. Have everyone list their keepers- This way we can move forward on placing a value on keepers, with whatever method we choose. If we elect to go with the tiered approach, I think it necessitates a vote, to make it as fair as possible everyone should vote on all players, but that won't happen. I think as a minimum, the three of us and justin should vote.

To these ends, I propose that Rich get in touch with non-responders to get them to list their keepers. Before everyone bitches about not being ready to make final keeper decisions, note that this would not be set in stone- if someone gets hurt and becomes a throwback to the draft pool, we can account for that by adding a new player in later. But the truth is that most of us should know who we're keeping. Either way, it's time to make some decisions and move forward.

Each team should list their keepers as a comment to this post. I'll start by listing mine today. I will then compile a list of keepers and we can arrange a method of valuation from there. We need buy-in on this, so please join in. The draft will be here before we know it.

9 comments:

Strobl said...

TINSTAAPP Keepers for 2007:

SP Johan Santana
1B/OF Lance Berkman
1B/OF Adam Dunn
OF Andruw Jones

Rich said...

Replacement Levelers Keepers:

1B David Ortiz
SS Miguel Tejada
OF Carlos Lee
SP Felix Hernandez

I just want to be clear, these aren't the actual players I am keeping, but a list of the top 4 that I have given some consideration to keeping.

Michael Mirer said...

3B/OF Miguel Cabrera
1B Ryan Howard
OF Jason Bay
2B Robinson Cano

Anonymous said...

2007 Keepers for Long Live OBP (to be renamed, since OBP is alive):

C Joe Mauer
1B Prince Fielder
SS Derek Jeter
SS Jose Reyes

Looking more closely at this, I think the auto-price for keepers should probably be closer to $20 than $30. At $30, I'm not sure that I would keep more than one or two players. As much as that gives an advantage to whomever holds A-Rod, Pujols, and a few others, the point is to make sure keepers are worth keeping. Perhaps inflation next year would make sense to keep things from getting out of hand.

Dave said...

PECOTA Monkeys Keepers

1B Albert Pujols
OF Carlos Beltran
2B Chase Utley
1B Derek Lee

I totally agree with Justin and this is a point I have been trying to get across in various ways. At $30, there are extremely few players who it actually makes sense to keep. There are fairness issues at $20, but I think those are softened by the inflation idea. For instance, if $20 is a floor with $5 inflation, under almost no circumstances will it make sense to keep any player for more than 3 years at a time (including the year when he's first drafted)

ryan ghan said...

Boston Doodles keepers...
3b D. Wright
of M. Holliday
of M. Ramirez
sp J. Smolz

Jeff'y said...

Okay, whatever, Smooth Segues:

1B Mark Teixeira
OF Bobby Abreu
SP Roy Oswalt
SS Hanley Ramírez (he was undrafted; any chance they'll be cheaper than $15?)

Unknown said...

2b Uggls
SS M. Young
OF Cameron
P Carpenter

Unknown said...

LeetSauce:

OF Guerrero
OF Ichiro
1B Hafner